On April 6th 2022 the Demo Day of HealthCare Lab’s second batch took place! We were joined online by more than 1500 ecosystem stakeholders across all platforms, from almost 50 countries! We hope many of you managed to watch the livestream online. In case you missed it, you can still watch the recoding HERE! See who are the winning teams and which experts, speakers, and partners supported HealthCare Lab 2022.
The recipients of our awards are:
Public Vote Award – Calmsie
Main Award – Healthcare Data Challenge – Upmedic
Main Award – Screening and Early Diagnostics Challenge – Kelvin Health
Main Award – Digital Therapeutics Challenge – Calmsie
Each of the Main Award winners receives €10.000 prize money from Roche. The Public Award winner receives a unique Service Package consisting of legal advisory services provided by Sparring and a HealthTech conference attendance package sponsored by CIVITTA.
The Opening of HCL Demo Day 2022
One of the initiators of the HealthCare Lab acceleration program, Daren Wilson (General Manager at Roche Slovakia), opened the Demo Day 2022. Also our main partner EIT Health, represented by Balázs Fürjes (Member of the Management Board at EIT Health) shared why EIT Health became part of HCL 2022. Peter Kolesar (Partner at Civitta) thanked the organizational team behind HCL and wished all the teams good luck for their pitches and their journey ahead.
We are grateful that Padraic Ward (Head of Roche Pharma International) gave an opening keynote speech during our DEMO DAY. In his inspirational opening, he talked about the importance of fostering innovation in healthcare on both – global and local levels – and trends in personalized healthcare.
Our Jury Who Selected The Winning Teams
Intensive discussions and tough decisions had to be made among our jury. All of the 9 teams delivered strong pitches, gave professional and competent answers to the jury’s questions and are working on solutions that have high potential! Eventually, the jury could align on the winning teams. We would like to thank the jury for their expertise and commitment:
- Erki Mölder, Co-Founder, Health Founders
- Tamás Békási, RIS Business Creation Manager, EIT Health InnoStars
- Lee Lehman-Becker, Vice President and Partnering Network Lead, Roche Information Solutions
- Kfir Kachlon, Managing Partner, 91 Ventures
Panel Discussion: “The Future of Personalized Healthcare”
While the jury had the tough job of assessing the teams’ pitches and progress over the course of the acceleration program, our esteemed panelists discussed the true potential and impact of personalized healthcare on patients and healthcare through specific examples and gave an outlook on the opportunities and challenges that are lying ahead. We would like to thank Erik Lundgren (General Manager, Roche Czech Republic) for moderating this interesting discussion.
Much appreciation also goes to our panelists Joanne M. Hackett (Head of Genomic and Precision Medicine, IQVIA), Nicole Arming (Head of PI PHC & Foundation Medicine, Roche), Ligia Kornowska (Managing Director, Polish Hospital Federation), and Miguel Amador (Ecosystem Lead for Portugal, EIT Health Innostars).
Follow the 9 Teams of HealthCare Lab 2022
SCREENING & EARLY DIAGNOSTICS
- Kelvin Health – Bulgaria – intelligent solution for detection and monitoring of medical abnormalities using thermal imaging AI
- Elm Genomics – Turkey – software-based clinical decision support providing comprehensive newborn genetic screening
- PONS Tech – Turkey – AI-driven mobile ultrasound for continuous monitoring of patients
HEALTHCARE DATA MANAGEMENT
OncoChain – Romania – oncology-specific application for providers with the core functionality of creating operational patient data repositories for RWD studies
UpMedic – Poland – web based platform for creating, storing and analyzing textual medical documentation
Albametrics – BrachyDOSE – Lithuania – tool for improved cancer treatment quality control, specially made for oncologist seeking best results in high dose rate brachytherapy treatment
DIGITAL THERAPEUTICS & DISEASE MANAGEMENT
- Vagustim Bioelectronics – Turkey – Vagustim is a machine learning-driven bioelectronic medicine startup focused on the development of non-invasive auricular vagus nerve stimulation devices for the treatment of hyperinflammatory and gastrointestinal diseases such as IBD.
- Calmsie – Poland – Calmsie develops Digital Therapeutics for mental health solutions. Their solution is particularly beneficial for children as they quickly engage in conversations and develop rapport with conversational avatars that use AI to personalize each interaction.
- Synovius – Romania – Is a device that turns regular mobile orthoses into smart orthoses. Synovius is a pocket size device capable of recovering up to 3 joints and to replace 30 kg of existing devices.
We are currently developing a HealthCare Lab Alumni Network to foster collaboration and networking among our participating startups and their innovation ecosystems.
After The Demo Day is Before The Demo Day – Stay Tuned For The 3rd Batch of HealthCare Lab!